Somerville Police Department
220 Washington St
Somerville, MA 02143
(In Union Square)
East Substation: 81 Broadway
West Substation: 1114 Broadway

Emergency: Dial 9-1-1
Non-Emergency Phone Directory

Follow us to stay up-to-date on the latest traffic and safety alerts!

 fb2     twit2    youtube2

Article Search

HomeWhat To Do After A Motor Vehicle Crash
Being involved in a motor vehicle crash can be stressful. Relax, we established this webpage to help guide you through the process of properly reporting the crash. If there is any injuries immediately call 9-1-1.


Step 1: If you haven't already done so, get the other parties information: name, address, license number/state, phone number, insurance company, vehicle make/model/color, vehicle license plate number/state. Your insurance company might not need all this information so check with them if you don't have it.

Step 2: Call your insurance company immediatly after the accident or as soon as possible and report the accident.

Step 3: File an Operator Crash Report available here. You should submit a copy, by mail or person, to each: 1) the Somerville Police Department (220 Washington St, Somerville, MA 02144), 2) Your insurance company, 3) The registry of motor vehicles. This report must be filed within 5 days of the accident.

Step 4: (optional) If the police responded and the accident resulted in a certain amount of damage then a Police Crash Report may have been filed. Your insurance company will automatically request that from us, however, if you want a copy for your own records you can obtain a copy through our Records Department.

Step 5: Follow-up with your insurance company to get your car fixed!

Go to top

Change Language

crime reports