What do I do if I lost or had my wallet or purse stolen?


First, file a police report in the city where your wallet or purse was lost or stolen, and keep a copy of the report. To file a report with the Somerville Police Department, you will need to file with a police officer at the police station located at 220 Washington St., Somerville MA, 02143. To inquire if your wallet or purse was turned in to the police, dial 617-625-1600. At the prompt say, "Police Officer" to reach a police officer 24/7. 

Alert your banks of the loss and replace your credit/debit cards as well as any other cards you had in your wallet or purse. You may need to contact your billing companies if you have automatic payments.

Call the SSA at (800) 772-1213 (TTY users, dial 1-800-325-0779), if your Medicare card is lost or stolen. And ask for a replacement. 

If your driver's license was lost, contact the Massachusetts RMV to replace your driver's license. See: How to Replace your Driver's License

If your health insurance card was lost, notify your company. 

If you believe you are a victim of identity theft. Report the loss to the three nationwide consumer reporting companies: Equifax at (800) 548-7878, Experian at (888) 397-3742, and Transunion at (800) 916-8800. Ask to have a fraud alert placed on your credit reports. It will tell creditors to follow certain procedures before they open new accounts in your name or make changes to your existing accounts. When placing a fraud alert you will be entitled to free copies of your credit reports. Order them a few weeks after your loss and review them carefully. Look for inquires from comapnies you haven't contacted, accounts you didn't open, and debts on your accounts that you can't explain. Fraud alerts are good for 90 days and can be renewed. They are free. See: Report Identity Theft and Get a Recovery Plan

Contact the Internal Revenue Service if your Social Security Card was in your wallet or purse. Contact the Social Security Administration on its toll-free number (800) 772-1213 or visit your Social Security Office. More information about your Social Security Card can be found online: SSA.GOV


Related Articles:

Crime Prevention: Break-Ins Motorcycle and Moped Theft Prevention Tips