Unfortunately, this is also the season when the theft of delivered package incrases across the nation and Somerville is no exception. Credit card fraud is also on the rise this year. Everyone should always be vigilant when it comes to shopping this year . On average during the holiday months (Nov 1. - Jan 31. ) the Somerville Police see an average 9 package thefts reported compared to the non-holiday months (Feb 1. - Oct 31. ) when this number is approximately 4. The goal is to reduce this type of theft from happening at all.
- *Package Thefts are one of the most unreported crimes, as a result these numbers should be interpreted as estimates.
- The graph above is intended to show approximate peak season of package theft activity.
Shopping Safety Tips
There are many steps that home shoppers can take to reduce the chance that deliveries will be stolen and also reduce the number of break-ins. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you are going to be away for a length of time, connect some lamps to automatic timers to turn them on in the evening and off during the day. Install exterior motion-sensitive lights for backyards.
- Pushbutton locks are easy for burglars to open, switch to deadbolts on outside doors! More than 40% of break-ins happen without the use of force.
- This is a sure indicator that no one is in and makes your home a target for burglars. Instead, arrange for your Post Office to hold your mail or have a friend or neighbor take them in. If your work allows it, have your packages sent to your office.
- For example, a flat-screen TV box announces to potential burglars that you have a brand new TV.
- The fewer thieves know about you, the better.