April 8, 2020
Residents of Somerville, on behalf of the members of the Somerville Police Department I want to ensure you that we are working tirelessly with our partners in Public Health and across every City Department to do everything we can to ensure your health and safety. I want to thank you for your voluntary compliance regarding social distancing, hand washing and adherence to CDC guidelines. These are difficult times for everyone including public safety. Due to the restrictions of in person resources we want to assist you in connecting with on line resources.
Courts are closed except for emergencies. Restraining Orders and Section 35 applications should be filed at the Somerville Police Department during regular court hours 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Emergency Restraining orders can also be filed in person at the Somerville Police Department any time outside of court hours, at 220 Washington St., Somerville or call 617-625-1212 for more information.
During this time of uncertainty and change it is crucial that we take care of our emotional health as well as our physical health. Our community partners and health care services are doing all they can to adapt and continue to be available, below are just a few of these resources:
- Mindfulness is an evidenced based intervention proven to build resilience and capacity to improve optimal performance and stress management. CHA Center for Mindfulness and Compassion every Monday!
FREE Online Meditation Drop-Ins
Date: Every Monday Time: 6-7 p.m. (EDT)
Platform: Zoom. https://zoom.us/j/179935105
For more information on additional programs: http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1113015050443&ca=fa8cd075-e75a-442e-a0b3-b56ee065b95b
For 24/7 Supports Lines
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 English and Spanish phone or text: 1-800-273-8255: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Veterans Crisis Line for Veterans in crisis and their families and friends, including Veterans not registered with the VA. Dial 800-273-8255 and Press 1 to talk to someone, or text 838255. https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/
- SMART Recovery: https://www.smartrecovery.org/smart-recovery-toolbox/smart-recovery-online/
- Emergency Mobile Crisis for Psychiatric emergencies are available for those individuals with MassHealth or who are uninsured. 24/7 BEST team at 1-800-981-4357.
Mental Health Resources
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance offers online support groups for these living with depression and bipolar disorder. These groups are peer-led and are available for young adults, friends, and family members. You can find more information here: https://www.dbsalliance.org/…/chapte…/online-support-groups/
- Turn 2 Me hosts free online support groups for anxiety, suicidal thoughts, depression, stress management, and general mental health issues: https://www.turn2me.ie/
Substance Use Resources
- Massachusetts Help Line 800-327-5050 to get help, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. Mon-Fri and 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. weekends.
- www.Mabhaccess.com for detox click center tab available providers. Then search ATS for detox beds.
- Mass Organization for Addiction Recovery resources, support, advocacy: https://www.moar-recovery.org/
- Alcoholics Anonymous 7 days a week: http://aa-intergroup.org/directory.php
- Sobriety Apps: https://newperspectivesfl.com/blog/sobriety-apps/
- How to manage when loved one has addiction: https://alliesinrecovery.net/
Health Care Resources
- CHA is adapting to the changing COVID-19 environment to protect your health and give you the care you need. Please continue to check our website for the most updated information.
- 211 24/7 Massachusetts hotline with real-time COVID-19 information, resources, and referrals in multiple languages. Dial 211, Callers press 2-6 for coronavirus. Residents can also reach 2-1-1 through a live chat option on the Massachusetts 2-1-1 website.
- Blue Cross/Blue Shield Health Insurance. Well Connection – Users can speak live with medical professionals for both medical and psychiatric concerns. Meetings are confidential and secure, and doctors are available 24/7. Users can sign up here: https://wellconnection.com/landing.htm
I am emboldened to see how the City is ensuring that every member of our community is looked after and cared for and I’m looking forward to seeing everyone at future City events, meetings and social gatherings. We will rise out of these challenging times collectively and we have the strength to do so because we are “Somerville” it’s in our DNA to not only persevere but to rise to any challenge in a strategic, thoughtful and compassionate manner.
Chief David Fallon & Patty Contente, LICSW